HMI SCADA Engineer - HVDC
Do you want to enable green energy transition, and together with colleagues build customized embedded control systems consisting of both software and hardware to meet our customers’ and the world’ s needs for sustainable, flexible and insecure energy?
We are convinced that HVDC (High Voltage Direct Current) technology, solutions for energy transfer with direct current at high voltages, is a long-term sustainable solution. The technology is used for energy transmission over long distances and to connect electricity networks with minimal losses. In addition to energy transfer, HVDC technology also alleviates electricity quality problems and can contribute to the stabilization of connected power grids for offshore wind power or long-distance underwater transmissions, direct current is the only realistic energy transmission alternative.
In this role as a HVDC SCADA/HMI Engineer at HVDC you can be based in either our Birmingham or Glasgow office offering hybrid working. You'll be responsible for the design of our automation system of the plants and transmissions designing our control cabinet layout, consisting of hundreds of circuit boards for measurements, control, and calculations. Our system also includes user interfaces such as HMI (Human Machine Interface), diagnostic tools and IT (Information Technology) infrastructure and IT security. For this we utilize our in house developed real-time platform MACH to meet the power industry’ s standards.
We value your potential and personal commitment equal to experience, so do not hesitate to send your application even though you don’t meet all the requirements. A team with fantastic collaboration and with different backgrounds is waiting for you to join!
• You will be a part of the HVDC team and be responsible for the HMI/SCADA System design in our control and protection system.
• Leading system, network, and cybersecurity implementations in HVDC projects
• Building complete infrastructure of networks and systems to support operations.
• Ensuring systems and networks contain defined levels of cybersecurity.
• Participating in security assessments as a subject-matter expert
• Actively contributing to identifying and capturing opportunities for improvement
• Work together with our customers, both internally and externally, to ensure our delivery is according to their requirements and standards.
• Collaborating and networking with engineering colleagues, sharing best practice across different projects and disciplines
• You will have the opportunity to travel abroad and participate in building some of our many power stations around the world.
• You will have the freedom to plan and organize your daily work together with a lot of problem solving.
Qualifications / Background
• You hold a Bachelor or Master’ s degree within the relevant technical area.
• You have previous experience working with HVDC projects.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, fluent in English and comfortable in customer discussions.
• Experience with network equipment (firewalls, switches, GPS clocks) and redundant network designs and protocols
• Experience with Microsoft client- and server operating systems (virtual and bare metal) from legacy to current generations.
• Experience with Active Directory and the different roles, integration with third-party devices and appliances.
• Experience with databases and high-availability solutions.
• Experience with scripting languages and automation technologies.
• Experience with port-, vulnerability-, and malware scanners, able to digest and communicate the output.
• Knowledge of intrusion detection systems, security information event monitoring, application control and other Security-relevant systems is a major plus.
• Data Base Management/SQL.• HMI with Intouch application development.
• Backup/ Image handling on servers and workstations and patch management.
• Exposure / Basic Knowledge in International electrical (IEEE/IEC) Standards.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Chemicals, Construction & Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining and Manufacturing sectors worldwide. With more than 80 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.