Purpose of the job: describe in 1 phrase what contribution the job is expected to make to the organization’s objectives
The post holder will provide a day-based engineering support service to the assets at the site. They will be required to work with minimal supervision as part of a team of operations, instrument, electrical and mechanical personnel and have the ability to maximise the reliability and availability of the assets and ensure SHE targets are met. This requires the application of practical and organisational skills to resolve maintenance issues. Environment/Context: describe the most important internal and external factors influencing the job
The site at Hull is top tier COMAH registered, and the job holder has a key role in ensuring the plant is operated safely to meet the company’s and the regulator’s expectations with safety performance and operational integrity.
Competency assurance of the manufacturing personnel is critical to ensure that the Hull assets can be operated safely and reliably.
Reliable and efficient plant operation are key measures of asset performance that need to be achieved to ensure business requirements are met. Accountabilities of the job: describe the main results expected from the job
Uphold the “BEHAVIOURAL & PROCESS SAFETY PRINCIPLES” & “Life Saving Rules” in all activities undertaken.
To undertake the day-to-day instrument technician core role activities including breakdown and preventative maintenance, repair, and installation of Instrument equipment:
- Interact with the maintenance coordination team, discipline engineers and operations technicians to be advised of, and understand daily plant issues. Then have the ability to act on these and deliver solutions
- Work with permit signatories daily to discuss and prepare permit requests, method statements and risk assessments
- Regularly liaise with other trade disciplines and the supervisors for scaffolding and lagging when they are required to support specific jobs. This often necessitates coordination of their work and permit requirements
- Become conversant within the permit system
- Carry out enabling isolations on the sites Instrument systems
- Fault finding following equipment failure, identifying problems and then have the ability to resolve these within a specified timescale whilst minimising costs. This may include organising spares, labour, and third-party interaction upfront to minimise downtime
To be competent in the operation, maintenance, and installation of Instrument systems in accordance with appropriate standards and procedures:
- Hazardous area equipment inspections and installations to the IEC60079 standard
- Maintain awareness of procedures, rules and regulations that apply to Instrument activities. To be conversant with all E&I codes of practice
- To advise the asset E&I engineers on maintenance issues and field observations to achieve continuous improvement
- Identify and specify equipment requiring procurement. To consult with suppliers on technical issues and ensure that procured equipment will meet standards of design and performance
Electronic recording of maintenance activities and interacting with IT Systems, including:
- Knowledge and use of SAP, MS Excel, Word, Outlook, Power point, and navigating the network drives
- Initiating maintenance activities and recording thereof in SAP (Notifications and workorder feedback)
- Recording and re-ordering of spares
Working within the Control of Work system and accompanying Site Safety Orders, including:
- Conversant with all relevant Site safety Orders (SSO’S)
- Conversant with Permit to Work system and fulfilling the various roles as required therein
- Undertake auditing as per the agreed site SHE programmes
Supervision and facilitating of people and work where required, including:
Main contacts: what are the internal and external contacts you have, necessary for reaching your results? Who Frequency of contacts My role in those contacts Purpose of contacts
- Supervision of contractors and service providers if required
- Facilitating and assisting service providers when required
- Supervise and facilitate job pack/project packs when required
- Provide on the job training and guidance for contractors, apprentices, and less experienced staff
- Ensure work carried out by contact staff meet company standards
Asset E&I Engineer/supervisor Daily Instrument Technician Agree prioritisation & completion of day-to-day work to ensure plant requirements are met.
Provide training needs. Provide information regarding electrical system plant status that may have a direct consequence to site operation.
Line management. Maintenance coordination team Daily Instrument Technician Overview of planned and emergent work from the SAP system. Other Discipline Engineers Daily Instrument Technician Provide information regarding electrical plant status that may have a direct consequence to other disciplines maintenance tasks. Operations permit team Daily Instrument Technician Raising permit requests and checking plant status. Electrical isolations for work permits. Operations Engineer Weekly Instrument Technician Discuss and agree plant requirements. Problem solving input. Agree plant activities/decisions. Coordinate work accordingly. F. Required profile: Level of education & experience in general
- Minimum of a recognised apprenticeship and NVQ3 or equivalent.
- ONC (HNC preferred).
- CompEX modules 01 – 04 certificate.
- BS7671 (current edition) IET Requirements for Electrical Installation certificate preferred.
- Ability to progress the job from initiation to completion including organising support services.
- The post holder will be required to undertake internal and external training courses to help gain or maintain competencies.
- The ability to work in a flexible environment with all levels of staff and contractors is essential.
- Technicians are expected to work independently and with minimum supervision from information gathered from engineers and operating technicians and have the ability to plan their own work. Work flexibly with Call out requirement met as required.
- Familiar with the SAP PM model.
- Provide evidence of experienced gained and training records for help with competency assessment.
- Sound IT skills.
Planning and organisational skills. Technical Skills
- Maintenance of all Instrumentation systems
- Working knowledge of Temperature, Pressure, Flow and Level systems.
- Safe isolation of E&I systems.
- Maintenance of Instrument equipment and associated control systems
- Installation, inspection, and maintenance of hazardous area equipment.
- The ability to fault find on E&I equipment and systems.
- Read, understand and fault find using P&ID drawings and schematics
- Proficient in Analysis techniques
- Knowledge of DCS, PLC and emergency shutdown systems.
- Maintenance associated with control valves and ESD valves.
- Contribute to the control/procedural systems.
- Small bore/ compression Pipe work knowledge
Performance indicators: Describe the criteria allowing to measure to what extent the results are achieved - related to the accountabilities
- Bias for action
- Team working skills
- Committed & enthusiastic
- Setting standards for others
- Personal skills in communication
- Results orientation and performance bias
- Plant reliability targets are achieved
- Plant maintenance costs within budget
- All statutory and integrity inspections within due date
- Objectives achieved
- Training targets achieved
- Asset safety, reliability, and overall production targets
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Chemicals, Construction & Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining and Manufacturing sectors worldwide. With more than 80 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.