Job Title: Operations Superintendent
Department: Field & Offshore
Location: Point of Ayr & Offshore
Reports to: POA Plant Manager
The Operations Superintendent is predominantly based at the POA Terminal (but will also
provide support Offshore) and is responsible for supporting decommissioning at the
terminal and across the Field in preparation for CCUS ensuring that targets are met. The
Superintendent will work closely with the Decommissioning Manager / Site Managers
developing and reviewing Flushing and purging procedures, taking proactive measures to
reduce any risks of unplanned inefficiencies.
The Operations Superintendent may need act as a deputy Plant Manager.
Main Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
• Support and facilitate projects including “End of field life”, site decommissioning
and future, alternative uses for the PoA site and Offshore facilities.
• Work with the Decommissioning Manager to ensure that work is planned and
executed safely with minimal down time.
• Review and develop ‘making safe procedures’ e.g. flushing purging, positive
isolation schemes and Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) removal /disposal method
statements, for onshore and offshore sites
• Support Field Well P&A readiness preparation.
• Assist EPC contractor with planning and preparation activities to execute
Decommissioning and CCUS workscopes at PoA and Offshore.
• Continuously work towards improvement of operational performance with respect
to HSE, maintenance, cost and reliability.
• Manage effective communication with all direct and indirect reports.
• Develop, maintain and manage networks with key internal and external
stakeholders, as required.
• Ensure operations are performed to the company HSE and operational standards.
• Ensure compliance with relevant Legislative, Regulatory and Company standards,
policies and procedures.2
• Ensure full compliance with our MSGs, policies and practices, and applicable
legislation and regulations.
• Promote a risk-based approach to maintenance and operations, technical
specialists and HSE staff to manage risk.
• Working towards achieving HSE performance against agreed targets and reporting
• Lead initiatives to promote visible and pro-active management commitment and
employee involvement in HSE activities.
• Participate/Lead in HAZOPs/HAZIDs/ORA/SCRA/WPRA/Toolbox Talks as required.
• Support the implementation controls to mitigate and manage risk.
• Perform regular audit activities such as inspections, local audits, integrated HSE
• Act as Emergency Incident Commander in accordance with the Emergency
• Participate in Team Safety Meetings
• Review upcoming plant maintenance and ensure equipment is ready for handover.
• Participate in Weekly and 90 day Planning Meetings. Communicate with the Site
Planning Team regarding equipment availability, routine and project work activity.
• Provide support and co-ordination for the site Permit to work process.
• Ensure work orders are completed by the production team as per site schedule and
SAP is updated
• Work with the Maintenance Superintendent to improve Equipment Reliability and
plan for remedial repairs.
• Ensure Reports are completed on time.
Manpower & Resourcing
• Arrange for additional support if deemed required during start-ups/shutdowns,
special projects, major turnaround planning & execution.
• Guides, coaches and mentors team members to drive individual & team
• Participate in succession planning activities
• Optimize costs of Field activities
Education & Professional Qualifications:
• Significant Experience in Production Plant Operations
NVQ Level 3 Plant Operations or Deemed Equivalent
Required Experience and Technical Competencies (relevant experience and
• Knowledge of UK oil & gas industry required
• Leadership and management experience in an onshore production facility
• Demonstrated Knowledge of Offshore Operations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the workloads and competencies of Control Room
Operators and Production Technicians
• Demonstrated Knowledge of Well Operations, Plugging and Abandonment.3
• Demonstrated knowledge of Process Plant Operations including Gas Sweetening and
Sulphur Recovery Processes.
• Extensive operations experience required - proficiency in operational surveillance,
production optimisation and plant maintenance required
• Knowledge of application of HSE Management Systems in an Offshore and Onshore
• Fully knowledgeable in relevant Regulatory requirements and Legislation e.g. Safety
Case Regs, COMAH, PUWER, HSW, RIDDOR
• Previous leadership and supervision experience required – able to demonstrate
supervisory, organisational, planning and reporting skills
• Demonstrated competency in Emergency Command and Control
• Compliance with all Mandatory and Statutory training requirements for Liverpool Bay
as per HSE Competency Matrix.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to build effective work
relationships and foster strong networks with other leaders and peers
• Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
• Effective time management (self and team)
• Ability to delegate effectively as required.
• Demonstrate our Model of Excellence:
Working Conditions (working conditions and additional information, e.g.working hours
or mobility requirements):
-Oil and Gas UK Medical mandatory
-Offshore / Onshore Site based
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Chemicals, Construction & Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining and Manufacturing sectors worldwide. With more than 80 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.