Process Control Engineer Name of job holder: Department/service:
Asset support team Grade Reporting to:
Process automation manager Reporting Manager:
Asset support manager A. Purpose of the job: describe in 1 phrase what contribution the job is expected to make to the organisation’s objectives
B. Environment/Context: describe the most important internal and external factors influencing the job
- The incumbent is expected to be the designated engineer covering all aspects of process automation for a specific asset. This includes a requirement to maintain and develop process automation techniques, included but not limited to:
- process control
- safety instrumented systems (SIS),
- distributed control system (DCS) hardware strategies,
- procedures, standards and documentation
- Our client is a business engaged in the entire petrochemical value chain from manufacturing through to marketing and sales. It is one of the world's leading manufacturers of acetic acid and its derivatives, and owns & deploys its leading technology in Europe, Asia, and US.
- Our client’s site is the European manufacturing facility and is of strategic importance to the global business, with a focus on manufacturing petrochemicals as well as research & technology.
C. Accountabilities of the job: describe the main results expected from the job
- The European market is forecast to grow steadily over the next few years and the business is committed to a sustainable growth agenda to capture a substantial portion of this market growth. Their core product range is Acetic Acid and Acetic Anhydride.
- Regulatory control design, implementation, and maintenance to provide robust, stable control of the plant processes.
- Traditional advanced control design (excluding multivariable), implementation and maintenance to provide robust improvement of plant profitability and asset optimisation.
- Continuous improvement of plant process control including alarm management and use of associated applications.
- Graphic User Interfaces (GUI) implementation and support for operator and engineering functions.
- Control modelling and data analysis to supplement control strategies and gain useful information from large volumes of data; and
- Software installation and maintenance to ensure up to date and reliable operation of control applications.
- Provide specialist engineering support for SIS systems, for life cycle phases of design, development, modification, commissioning and ensure compliance with industry and company standards.
- Responsible for identifying, evaluating and implementing opportunities to improve the safety, reliability and operability performance.
- Support manufacturing team SIL reviews and MAF development; and
- Ensure that the integrity of the site’s SIS logic solvers are maintained to the appropriate standard.
D. Dimensions: Describe the most representative figures of the job (for example: number of staff, budget your responsible for, number of projects…) Facts Number or amount in €
- Design, implement and document DCS hardware changes ensuring compliance with Hull site procedures and working practices.
- Manage the DCS systems including system configuration, backups and general system reliability and cyber security.
- Conduct DCS system maintenance routines and manage site DCS spares and hot spares system.
- Provide interface support for equipment linked to the process controls, such as shutdown systems and switchgear; and
- Investigate, diagnose and repair faults on DCS related systems.
- EBITDA – Global
$400m Supervision of staff:
Give the number of people you supervise. “Direct” means that they report directly to you. Direct Indirect Total
0 0 0 E
. Main contacts: what are the internal and external contacts you have, necessary for reaching your results? Who Frequency of contacts My role in those contacts Purpose of contacts
Process automation manager Daily Feedback Progress updates Asset manager Monthly Feedback / prioritization Progress updates Control technicians Daily Support Problem solving Site Manger/Asset support manager Quartey Feedback Alignment with site prioritizes F. Required profile: Technical Skills
- DCS/SIS engineering experience, including Honeywell TPS/Experion control system and FSC/SM safety systems gained whilst working on continuous refinery/chemical processes. Honeywell DCS hardware knowledge, fault finding and troubleshooting.
- Design and implementation of Honeywell graphic user interface (GUI).
- Regulatory control, implementation, and maintenance:
- Knowledge of control system algorithms and functions.
- Design of classical regulatory control strategies.
- Tuning and troubleshooting.
- Advanced control design, implementation, and maintenance:
- Knowledge of traditional advanced control techniques.
- Understand algorithms and process economics to achieve control objectives.
- Control modelling and data analysis:
- Design and implementation of dynamic or steady state models to supplement control strategies.
- Statistical analysis to gain useful information from large volumes of data.
- Safety instrumented system, implementation, and maintenance:
- Solid concepts of reliability, availability, functionality, SIL, risk reduction and SIS in the process industry.
- Must have a working knowledge of Honeywell FSC/SM technology and interface with TPS/Experion.
- Knowledge of safety system algorithms and functions.
- Knowledge of SIS design standards (company and industry) and principles.
- Familiar with cause-and-effect matrix charts for safety instrumented systems.
- Knowledge of the chemical engineering processes.
- Plant commissioning support.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating systems.
G. Performance indicators: Describe the criteria allowing to measure to what extent the results are achieved - related to the accountabilities
- Performance bias.
- Partnership and teamwork.
- Deal with complex technical (and ambiguous) situations,
- Sound understanding of maintenance practices to manage petrochemical plant availability.
- Maintain fully supported and fit for purpose process automation solutions at lowest cost
- Maintain compliance with all regulatory requirements within process automation field
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Chemicals, Construction & Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining and Manufacturing sectors worldwide. With more than 80 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.