NES Fircroft are working with a large oil and gas operator who are looking for a Technical Safety Engineer to work with them in their Norwich Offices.
Technical Safety Engineer
12-month contract, Norwich
This unique opportunity is available in our UK subsidiary which is one of the largest gas operators in the Southern North Sea.
This role is an integral part of our QSHE team and is responsible for the provision of safety engineering support to our SNS operation. Responsibilities include ensuring compliance with UK QSHE legislation, codes of practice, guidelines, industry standards and best practice.
This is a full-time role based at our Norwich office, working Monday to Friday. Key Responsibilities include:
Carry out competent in-house safety studies in support of operations and projects including but not limited to following:
- Chairing and facilitating safety studies such as Total Risk Management, HAZID, Bowtie, ALARP
- Development of Barrier Diagrams (Bowties)
- Consequence modelling using DNV GL PHAST or FLARESIM software is mandatory
- Mini Quantitative Risk Assessments (QRA) including Event and Fault Tree development
- Hazardous Area Classification
- Fire and Explosion Risk Assessment
- Preparing Safety Case Material Changes
- Conducting 5 yearly Thorough Reviews
- Knowledge in COMAH regulations is desirable
- Knowledge in Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling is desirable
Preparing the scope of requirements, commissioning, managing and reviewing technical safety studies from competent contractors in support of operations and projects including but not limited to following:
Safety & Environmentally Critical Tasks:
- QRA and Cost Benefit Analysis
- Escape, Evacuation and Rescue Assessment
- Probabilistic Explosion Assessment
- Quantitative/Qualitative Safety Critical System Impairment Assessment
- Occupied Building Risk Assessment (Good knowledge of HAZOP, SIL and LOPA is desirable.)
- Provide safety engineering support for Management of Change process (MOC) and identify the appropriate safety studies that should be completed.
- Engage with operations and projects to ensure that all necessary regulatory requirements and approved codes of practice are identified, permits obtained, and conditions complied with.
- Provide coaching, guidance and advice to operations, engineering and other support teams to ensure compliance with applicable legislation such as OSDR/SCR, PFEER, DSEAR, DCR, PSR and PSSR.
- Liaise with regulatory bodies on matters of HSE, understanding regulatory drivers and providing guidance to Perenco on matters of regulatory compliance.
- Maintain current in changes to HSE legislations, codes, guidelines and industry standards, Interpreting these.
- Provide support to others within the team to ensure requirements under Safety Case Regulations (SCR) are achieved, including maintenance of documentation up to date and providing support and input to the periodic reviews (i.e. SCR Thorough Review Programme).
- Identifying opportunities and efficiencies to improve overall QSHE standards and performance throughout the SNS Operation
Safety & Environmentally Critical Courses:
- SNS Technical Safety Engineer
- SNS Management of Change - Technical Reviewer.
- Review Management of Change (MOC) proposals via the eMOC system, address technical queries, ensure compliance with technical standards within the Process discipline and provide access to specialist engineering advice.
- SNS Operational Risk Assessment – Participant
- FLARESIM (Flare Modelling)
- Health & Safety Compliance (Inc. SECE) CBT PHA-Pro End User
- Phast Advanced Discharge Modelling
- Phast Advanced Dispersion and Toxic Modelling
- Phast Advanced Flammable Modelling
- Phast Software Introduction
- Risk Management - Bowtie Method
- Hazardous Area Classification
- Higher technical qualification within engineering field e.g. Process Safety, Chemical or Mechanical is mandatory. Chartered in mechanical, chemical/process engineering is desirable
- 10+ years’ experience in Safety Engineering in Oil & Gas Industry. Experience in both design and operation is desirable.
- Software knowledge MS Office (Word/Excel mandatory), PHAST, PHA-Pro, BowTie XP, FLARESIM
- Ability to prepare technical reports and letters, work to deadlines, organised and methodical. Ability to interact with Senior Management and regulatory bodies. Technically confident.
To apply for this position, please forward your updated CV.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Chemicals, Construction & Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining and Manufacturing sectors worldwide. With more than 80 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.