Case Study - Civil Infrastructure
Brisbane - Sourcing Engineers for Major Highway Upgrades
NES Fircroft supplied specialist designers, drafters and engineers to support the Kingsford Smith Drive highway upgrade
Our client joined forces with a major construction company to design and build the upgrade of a large civil infrastructure project in central Brisbane, Australia. The project involved the upgrade of a major highway - the Kingsford Smith Drive - with a view to widening the road from four to six lanes, with other improvement works to adjoining roads.
In addition to providing increased road capacity for the increasing traffic volumes, the upgrade also aimed to deliver significantly improved pedestrian and cycle facilities to increase the public transport options for the residents in the Northshore precinct. Other public transport improvements included the addition of indented bus stops.
The critical upgrade would create a entry statement to Brisbane, transforming one of the city’s most significant routes into a vibrant urban corridor with the Brisbane River as the centrepiece.
The skillsets required included Design Managers, Drafters / Senior Drafters, Civil Engineers and Principle Engineers with both contract and permanent positions on offer.
The biggest challenge to our client’s recruitment drive was to secure the large volume of required talent in a short timeframe, in a market renowned for skills shortages.
The scope of the long-duration project meant that the client needed a workforce partner who could provide scalable and flexible workforce solutions beyond the realms of just recruitment, plus one with access to a large talent pool containing specialist construction skillsets.
- Our search took place months before project kick-off to ensure sufficient time in locating the volume of workers required and to coordinate the logistics for those that would be mobilised to the local area.
- We are able to provide 457 visas; our assignment support team orchestrated all necessary visa and work permits for expatriate talent and helped our contractors to set up local bank accounts where required, in addition to organising all travel and medical insurances.
- As part of our due diligence we ensured that all contractors on site had the appropriate and ongoing certification required for their assignments.
- Our travel team organised all necessary transport and travel arrangements including supplying contractors airtight a 24 hour emergency advice and support line for their peace of mind.
- Our payroll team co-ordinated all necessary paperwork to ensure that the processing, calculation and payment of foreign taxes remained compliant for every contractor.
The results of our support
Through leveraging our Australian and global talent networks we were able to secure the required talent with ease, building an exceptionally strong relationship with the client through close communication and detailed planning. By taking care of all contractor practicalities, our client was able to concentrate on the business at hand.